Tuesday, September 24, 2013

MERCY, FORGIVENESS AND A RING - Bulletin 9-15-13


MERCY, FORGIVENESS AND A RING
     When I was 10 or 11 there was a college student (I’ll call him, Sam) who would stop by and visit the children’s home on occasion.  He and I didn’t get along.  Maybe it was because I felt he picked on me; maybe it was because I called him names. 
     Anyway, one summer day, beside the children’s home pool, Sam decided to demonstrate to 20 or so of us boys how to save a person who was drowning.  He had taken a college water-safety class that spring and was anxious to showcase his abilities.  However, he needed a volunteer…. any volunteer…. so he pushed me into the deep water and jumped in nearly on top of me.  Before I had time to get to the surface to catch my breath, Sam’s left hand was around my chin pulling me underwater to the far end of the pool!
     I couldn’t breathe; I couldn’t get away; and I couldn’t wait to jump out of the pool and tell Sam what I thought of his “life-saving” skills.  I called him the same name I’d always called him and (after he caught me) he did what he usually did – he popped me on the back of my head with his class ring.
     I didn’t see Sam again until 28 years later at a graduation ceremony.  He was married, had a family and was a respected citizen – I guess.  All I could think of was a children’s home pool and a class ring’s impression on my skull.  So, I stood there, 50 feet away, pretending not to see him.  I ended up leaving without even shaking his hand.  Not one of my better moments!
 Luke 15:21-24 – “...his father saw him and felt compassion for him, and ran and embraced him and kissed him ...put a ring on his hand and sandals on his feet ...”
 MERCY, FORGIVENESS AND A RING; ONE OF THE FATHER’S GREATEST MOMENTS!  GOD is good!  Mr. Steve  

No comments:

Post a Comment