Thursday, July 28, 2016

“Making A Difference”

My nephew, James, had a severe seizure a couple of weekends ago in Canyon, TX and took a hard blow to the back of his head. The CT Scan in Lawton, OK showed a skull fracture and pressure being put on his brain.  He was also bleeding outside the brain and quickly taken to OU Medical Center. 

When I heard the above, I remembered a time when James (and his parents) came to visit Patti, Jessica and me in NJ.  At that time, James was only 13 years old but even then he was making a positive difference in my life. Such joy and purity of heart!  He tried to teach me yodeling but it didn’t take! 
  • He sang to me.
  • He prayed for me.
  • He spoke Scripture to me.
  • He thanked me, hugged me, laughed with me, held my hand, and saved me from being run over by a bus! 
James is from Quito, Ecuador.  He has strong glasses because his eyesight is failing him.  Other special needs and body ailments may be more obvious, but he loves to sing, help where and when needed, and spill out the most honest comments, whatever situation he’s in – such was the case on the Wednesday night of his visit.  After yodeling for us, one of our elders told James what a good job he had done to which James quickly replied, “I speak two languages and usually get paid for this.”  Complete honesty!
Ephesians 5:18-21 is a scripture text that “we” generally enclose a church building around, but I found it both refreshing and encouraging to witness this passage come to life through a 13 year-old – wherever he was!              “… be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord; always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, even the Father…” 

This week James was released from the hospital and is now resting.  Thank You, God; I praise You because of James (Gal 1:24)!  God is good.  Mr. Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment