Tuesday, June 24, 2014

RICKY - Bulletin 05-25-14

   RICKY
     When I was in grades one, two and three – he was one of my best friends.  We sat in the classroom, played baseball and swam in the pond together.  I moved at the beginning of my fourth grade year and didn’t see Ricky until college, nine years later.  Being reunited was such a blessing!

     During the end of our first semester, as college freshmen, Ricky talked to me about his leaving school and joining the armed forces.  He did and was killed in action the next year.

     Vietnam was an ugly war, but then again, all wars are ugly.  Wars maim, kill, destroy people’s lives, take loved ones away, and leave devastating memories that for many survivors result in PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder).   

     I miss Ricky; I’ve gone to the Viet Nam Memorial Wall twice to find his name.  There’s always been a crowd of people around –  rubbing a loved one’s name on a piece of paper, leaving flowers, taking pictures, crying…

     Our congregation has several who have defended our country and the freedoms of other nations.  I have utmost respect for our servicemen and women.  Whatever one thinks about war, one thing I do know – freedom is expensive. Ask Jesus.

   “Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.”  John 15:13 

God is good all the time and all the time God is good!  Mr. Steve 


No comments:

Post a Comment