Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Mere Discipleship - Bulletin 9-29-13


Mere Discipleship

The following is one man’s journey for meaning, ending in true discipleship, and another man’s discipleship ending in true meaning:

“I said to myself, ‘Come now, I will test you with pleasure.  So enjoy yourself.’  And behold, it too was futility.  I said of laughter, ‘It is madness,’ and of pleasure, ‘What does it accomplish?’  I explored with my mind how to stimulate my body with wine while my mind was guiding me wisely… I provided for myself male and female singers and the pleasures of men — many concubines… All that my eyes desired I did not refuse them. I did not withhold my heart from any pleasure… and behold all was vanity and striving after wind and there was no profit under the sun (Ecclesiastes 2:1-11).”

In stark contrast to Solomon’s quest for life’s meaning and personal happiness is Charles de Foucauld’s “Prayer of Abandonment,” referenced in Lee C. Camp’s book, “Mere Discipleship: Radical Christianity in a Rebellious World.”

Prayer of Abandonment

By Charles de Foucauld

“My Father,
I abandon myself to you.
Make of me what you will.
Whatever you make of me, I thank you.
I am ready for everything
I accept everything.
Provided that your will be done in me,
In all your creatures,
I desire nothing else, Lord.
I put my soul in your hands,
I give it to you, Lord,
With all the love in my heart,
Because I love you,
And because it is for me a need of love
To give myself,
To put myself in your hands unreservedly,
With infinite trust.
For you are my Father!”

“Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep His commandments: for this is the whole duty of man (Ecclesiastes 12:13).”  God is good.  Mr. Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment