Wednesday, November 6, 2013

THE GOOD LIFE! - Bulletin 10-27-13


THE GOOD LIFE!
“Superficiality is the curse of our age.  The doctrine of instant satisfaction is a primary spiritual problem.  The desperate need today is not for a greater number of intelligent people, or gifted people, but for deep people.”  (Richard Foster, Celebration of Discipline)

I believe most of us want to be “deep people.”  Don’t we?  “Deep calls to deep.”  (Psalm 42:7)

We want lives that are fuller, richer – more deeply spiritual!  We want our lives to make a difference!  We want to become what God, from the beginning, has always wanted us to be – completely His!  His heart!  His hands!  His workmanship to the full!

My flesh votes against all I’ve just said.  Superficiality, escape and instant gratification stand at the top of Steve Sikes’ flesh venue and menu.  

However, my spirit longs for God!  I crave His very being in my life and soul!  I need Him more than the air I breathe!  So why do I fight Him so and bend my ears toward the sirens of the flesh?
I need help.

Besides the Bible, one of the best books I've read (and I've read it several times over the years) is Richard Foster's "Celebration of Discipline."  In his book, Foster talks about "THE GOOD LIFE" which requires implementing spiritual disciplines in our lives. 

The Inward Disciplines: Meditation; Prayer; Fasting; Study.
The Outward Disciplines: Simplicity; Solitude; Submission; Service.
The Corporate Disciplines: Confession; Worship; Guidance; Celebration.

But more importantly, is the primary requirement for wanting to practice these spiritual disciplines, which (according to Foster) is A LONGING AFTER GOD!  “As the deer pants for the water brooks, so my soul pants for Thee, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God…” (Psalm 42:1-2)
Do you long for a closer and deeper relationship with God?  Do you long for THE GOOD LIFE?Then prepare yourself for the journey!

God is good!  Mr. Steve 

No comments:

Post a Comment