Friday, December 12, 2014

THE DAY I MET ELMER SAVAGE - Bulletin 11-16-14

THE DAY I MET ELMER SAVAGE
I was a fourth grader and in trouble.  I really don’t remember why the bigger boys wanted to beat me up.  Honest.  I’m sure I’d done my part in making them mad, but exactly what I did or said, I don’t recall. 
What I do remember, however, is that Elmer stepped between me and them and said, “If you wanna fight somebody, come and fight me!”
I was new to the town and new to the school.  I don’t know why Elmer took to me.  Maybe because I was the underdog on a for sure losing team.  All I know is Elmer was a fifth grader who looked like a freshman in high school.   I mean, my playground defender was big!  And although he was out-numbered, those boys didn’t want anything to do with my new friend.
To this day, some 53 years later, I clearly remember my protector’s face, the clothes he wore and his name, Elmer Savage.  I can’t remember any other times Elmer and I were together, but that day is forever etched in my mind. 
Elmer came alongside me at a very difficult time and defended me.  I’m positive he saved me from a good beating, but he did much more than that.  He gave me a visual for what it means to have somebody be your defender, protector..... advocate (paracletos)!
The Apostle John says something strikingly similar about Jesus in 1 John 2:1.
My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous...” 
Did you get that?  John says Jesus is our Advocate (defender, protector, lawyer), who comes alongside and represents us before our judge, God the Father!  Justice and mercy, love and wrath, all coming together in the form of salvation in Jesus Christ!  And even though we are “guilty as sin”, Jesus stands before the Father, having paid the price, and says,”This one is mine. I’ve got him covered.”

Elmer Savage and Jesus the Christ.  One saved me from a beating, the other saved me from hell.  God is good all the time!  Mr. Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment