Friday, December 12, 2014

STUFFING OR SECURITY? - Bulletin 11-23-14

  STUFFING OR SECURITY?
When he first came to live with our family, he was about 18 months old.  He was too young for one of the children’s home cottages, so my parents brought him home to our farm house.   
For many years we had an old couch in the den that had a hole in the back corner.  Almost like a magnet, our innovative little resident was drawn to that hole from the very start.  Daily he would reach his little hand into that couch cavity and pull out some stuffing, and then with his fist clinched tight, hold his prize throughout the day!  Somehow, someway, this daily allowance of stuffing rewarded our new toddler with some sense of security.
I don’t know how old my adopted brother was before he quit foraging into our old couch, but his story reminds me of where true security can be found.  (And it’s not in a fistful of stuffing!)
“And if you give yourself to the hungry, and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then your light will rise in darkness, and your gloom will become like midday.  And the LORD will continually guide you, and satisfy your desire in scorched places, and give strength to your bones; and you will be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water whose waters do not fail.”  Isaiah 58:10-11
“Then the King will say to those on His right, ‘Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you...For I was hungry, and you gave Me some -thing to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.’”  Matthew 25:34-36
Stuffing or “stuff” doesn’t lead to true security or thanksgiving, but opening one’s hand to the needy does.  Then God will guide, satisfy, strengthen, and securely bless!  God is good!  Mr. Steve


No comments:

Post a Comment