Thursday, March 27, 2014

THREE VIEWS OF GOD - Bulletin 03-23-14

 THREE VIEWS OF GOD

I was pretty ornery growing up.  My report cards, during my first grade through third grade years. nearly always included the word “mischievous” at the bottom of each card – next to “student’s attitude.”   I remember my mom explaining what that word meant the first time I saw it… “ill-behaved, impish, ornery.”

Out of my twelve brothers and sisters, there is no question that I received the most spankings, although I don’t remember any past the seventh grade.  By then, I guess, I was beginning to see the light or more pointedly, feel the burn!

My initial view of God originated, I believe, out of my own orneriness and need for constant correction.   No surprise that during my first thirteen years of life I developed a view of God as a disciplinarian; a view affirmed by scriptures depicting God’s punishment of the disobedient.  Through it all, I owe much to Dad for saving me from a life of crime, or at least from a life of professional orneryism!  

My next view of God developed in my teen years as I traded my disciplinarian God for a God who loved sports, good grades and moral choices.  He was good and I was trying to be good.  I remember thinking – God and I made a pretty good team.  Hmmm. 

My third view of God was birthed as I became a father.  It was during my early years of parenting that Patti and I and kids moved back to work alongside Dad and Mom in a children’s home.  Through Dad and Mom I saw a God of strength, grace, mercy, and sacrifice, along with a great compassion for the hurting and abhorrence for evil.  

As you can see, my views of God have definitely transformed over the years and continue to do so.  I am so grateful for Dad and Mom being light and salt to me!  Their Jesus lifestyle and loving perseverance, laid the foundation for my ongoing pursuit of the wonder of God’s true being and character.  


God is good all the time and all the time God is good!  Mr. Steve          

No comments:

Post a Comment