Saturday, December 24, 2016

       WORTHY                                                                             
  • What is the most expensive item you’ve ever owned?
  • Who is the most important person you’ve ever known?
  • What is most precious to you -- your greatest treasure?
     When I was 14 years old I got my first pair of new shoes.  I’d had shoes before but they were usually hand-me-downs from my brother or from the children’s home storeroom.  These shoes were brand new, right off the shelf!  i still remember their new smell, color and style to this day.  I also remember polishing them over and over -- even the soles!  Since my parents paid for the shoes, I don’t remember their cost; all I know is, at that time, they were my most treasured possession.

     Fast forward 50 years.  I’ve had many a new pair of shoes since I was 14 and of course, my value meter has changed.  But the question, what do I value above all else.... is still most necessary. 

     I believe many times my actions have betrayed the value and worth my heart has placed on my Lord.  Evidently, there was a time when Jesus wasn’t the apostles’ greatest treasure either.  In Matthew, Mark and John’s accounts, Jesus came up second to a year’s wages!  Even more, His being anointed with such an expensive perfume was in their own words, “Such a waste!” 

“While he (Jesus) was eating dinner, a woman came up carrying a bottle of very 
expensive perfume. Opening the bottle, she poured it on his head. Some of the guests became furious among themselves. “That’s criminal! A sheer waste! This perfume could have been sold for well over a year’s wages and handed out to the poor.” Mk 14:3-5

     Besides Matthew 26, Mark 14 and John 12, I’ve been reading the book, “The Normal Christian Life” by Watchman Nee and an article by Steven Cole entitled, “Wasting Your Life On Jesus.”  Many questions!  Do I treasure Jesus more than my stuff?  Do I treasure Jesus more than my pride?  Do I treasure Jesus more than my reputation?  Have I even come close to the point of pouring myself out.... wasting my life on Jesus?  Mary understood the value of her Lord.  WORTHY!

     At age 14 it was a pair of shoes.  At age 64.... my comfort zone.  Isn’t Jesus worthy of all of me?  My heart?  My passion?  If I say no .... then what a waste! 
God is good all the time.  Mr. Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment