Friday, February 14, 2014

MOSES and PORTIA NELSON - Bulletin 02-09-14


MOSES and PORTIA NELSON
Among many other things, you can find Moses’ autobiography in the books of Exodus - Deuteronomy!  By definition, an autobiography is “an account of somebody’s life written by that person.”
If you were to write an autobiography what would it say?  
Years ago I came across Portia Nelson’s autobiography and discovered that I’m in it!  Interesting.  How can I be in someone else’s auto-biography I’ve never met?  Go ahead; take the challenge and see if you can find yourself in one or more of her following five chapters.

AUTOBIOGRAPHY IN FIVE SHORT CHAPTERS
by Portia Nelson

Chapter 1:  I walk down the street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.  I  fall in.  I am lost ... I am helpless.  It isn't my fault.  It takes me forever to find a way out.

Chapter 2:  I walk down the same street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.  I pretend I don't see it.  I fall in again.  I can't believe I am in the same place but, it isn't my fault.  It still takes a long time to get out.

Chapter 3:  I walk down the same street.  There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.  I see it is there.  I still fall in ... it's a habit.  My eyes are open.  I know where I am.  It is my fault.  I get out immediately.

Chapter 4:  I walk down the same street.  There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.  I walk around it.

Chapter 5:  I walk down another street.        
There are many things we can learn by reading someone else’s auto-biography.  Like Moses and Portia Nelson, we need to take responsibility for our own sin. True change begins with trusting in God and walking with Him. God is good all the time and all the time God is good!  Mr. Steve   

No comments:

Post a Comment