Thursday, December 5, 2013

I Almost Slipped - Bulletin 12-01-13


 I ALMOST SLIPPED!

“But as for me, my feet came close to stumbling, my steps had almost slipped.  For I was envious of the arrogant as I saw the prosperity of the wicked.  For there are no pains in their death, and their body is fat.  They are not in trouble as other men, nor are they plagued like mankind…. always at ease, they have increased in wealth. Surely in vain I have kept my heart pure and washed my hands in innocence....” (Psalm 73:2-5; 10-14)

David almost slipped!  How?  Envy.  Not counting his blessings!  David began to compare his life with those around him; others who seemed to have it much better than he did.  Why do they have it so good?  Why are they not troubled and broken like me?  And that’s not all....David entertained the unimaginable: his quest for purity of heart being pointless.  
Have you ever done this?  Have you ever compared your life, your bank account, your concerns, your problems with those who seem to have it much better than you – financially, emotionally, relationally…?   And then speculated your pursuit for purity as futile?   
Yes.  David came ever so close to slipping!  So, what truth kept David from going under?  Read Psalm 73:16-20!  David perceived the end of all who live lives separate and apart from a holy God!  Eternal destruction!

Dear Rochester family, let us learn from David’s experience.  We don’t have time to waste by envying and comparing our lives with others – good or bad.  Jesus’ life reveals all our sin.  

Thank You, Jesus, for the greatest of blessings --redeeming us, forgiving us, and giving us the ministry of reconciliation!  AND FOR CATCHING US WHEN WE ALMOST SLIP!    
                                                                                                God is good.  Mr. Steve 

No comments:

Post a Comment