Friday, August 15, 2014

STUCK ON AN ELEVATOR WITH DANIEL - Bulletin 08-10-14

“STUCK ON AN ELEVATOR WITH DANIEL”
Several years ago I went into Philadelphia to Pennsylvania University Hospital to visit a brother-in-Christ.  Afterwards, I paid for my parking and entered the parking garage elevator to go to my truck.

There were eight of us strangers in a small elevator – all headed somewhere fast until we got stuck between floors.  Somebody yelled for help, someone else rang the elevator alarm, and one of our eight, a janitor at a school, worked hard (to no avail) to open the doors by hand.  

Strangers caught in a moment of time together so unexpectedly.  We discovered quickly that one of our number, suffered from panic attacks and claustrophobia.  Her husband stated several times that they also needed to catch a train and couldn’t afford being late.  One lady said,  “I knew I shouldn’t have gotten on this elevator.  I just knew something wasn’t right.”

We stood and looked at each other and then I asked: “Do any of you have any family in the hospital?”  One man said that his brother was undergoing pacemaker surgery right now.  He gave me his name and I began taking prayer requests.  I prayed for each person and for God to open the doors to the elevator soon and ended with the statement that God is so good!

A few moments later we heard someone yell through the doors; help was on the way.  Fifteen minutes later the doors halfway opened and we began climbing out one at a time.


Reading the book of Daniel this week reminded me of the above story: thrust in a world of strangers; caught between worlds; chaos and near hysteria all around; yet unshaken in his belief that his God could and would deliver.  God is good all the time!  Mr. Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment