Friday, August 15, 2014

GOD IS PREPARED FOR YOU - Bulletin 06-22-14

“GOD IS PREPARED FOR YOU...” 
Reading the book of Amos this week, especially his oft quoted line, “Prepare to meet your God”,reminded me of the following true story: Several years ago I received a long distance call from a granddaughter of a 93 year-old shepherd, my shepherd.  “Papa is dying; I don’t think he’s going to make it” were the words whispered on the other end of the line.
My mind quickly recounted scene after scene over the last three decades of my experiences with “Papa” (pronounced Pap-aw).   For 30 years I had known this man to be full of wisdom, joy, laughter, and a possessor of an unusually quiet and gentle spirit.  I had lived with him, spent much time visiting, studying and praying with him.  “Papa” was my shepherd, my mentor, my friend.
One of the many stories “Papa” told me was when he was just a lad.  He and his dad were standing side by side looking across a neighbor’s field.  Their neighbor had bought the county’s first tractor.  What a sight!  But what “Papa” most remembered were the words of his father as they watched their neighbor drive his tractor for the first time – “It will never work!” “Papa” then bellowed his infamous “HA -HA- HA” and we laughed till we cried.

After praying over the phone with the distraught granddaughter, I dialed “Papa’s” Nursing Home room number.   One of his daughters, by his bedside, answered the phone and after some pleasantries put “Papa” on the line.  I told him how much I loved and missed him; he said the same to me and then I read over the phone one of his favorite passages of Scripture:                                                                         "Things which eye has not seen and ear has not heard, and which have not entered the heart of man, all that God has prepared for those who love Him."  1 Corinthians 2:9                 
In other words: GOD IS PREPARED FOR YOU;ARE YOU PREPARED FOR HIM?                 
God is good all the time and all the time God is good!  Mr. Steve 

No comments:

Post a Comment