Thursday, July 28, 2016

                                                             My Shepherds                                                                                                   
(The following is an article I wrote on March 27, 2011, about my six New Jersey shepherds when Jessica and Patti and I were with the Pitman Road church.  I pray the spirit of this feature will depict our soon-to-be shepherds for years to come.)
My shepherds are not perfect and they’ll be the first to tell you so.  Sometimes they get caught up in deacon work because they’re all servants at heart.  But most of the time they major in the majors and look after souls more than buildings, budgets and business.
My shepherds love the Lord and love their sheep.  They are passionate about unity yet very dissimilar in many of their views and perspectives.  Five of my six shepherds are first-generation Christians and all come from different walks of life.  Behind the scenes, my shepherds feel safe to disagree with one another and readily allow their flock to share any disagreements.   
My shepherd’s decision-making is – many times – the result of the work of the Holy Spirit!  Repeatedly, I have witnessed the Holy Spirit bind them together, smooth out their rough edges and create a decision unlike any one shepherd’s thoughts.   It is as a group of shepherds, God does His best work! 
My shepherds do not micro-manage.  They do not focus on the negative.  They do not put themselves first.
My shepherds have encouraged me, challenged me, exhorted me, and prayed over me.  I’ve been fed, led, forgiven, and given more love, trust and respect than ever before by a group of Christian men.  I’m a better sheep, teacher, counselor, and preacher because of my shepherds.  

"As a shepherd cares for his herd in the day when he is among his scattered sheep, so I will care for My sheep and will deliver them from all the places to which they were scattered on a cloudy and gloomy day (Ezekiel34:12).“                        
God is good.  Mr. Steve 

No comments:

Post a Comment